The present church, completed during the summer of 1965, replaced a smaller frame building that stood on the corner of Fourth and Sprague from 1897 to 1964.
During the early history of the Christian Church, worshippers would come together in the courtyard of a home. They gathered around a table that served as an altar for the celebration of the Lord’s Supper. The Bishop or Priest stood or sat behind the altar during the service. Worshippers were closely and intimately involved in the liturgy.
Through the centuries the laity became less and less a part of the Church’s worship. The liturgy came to be seen as something performed by the “professionals” – the clergy – alone. Church architecture began to reflect this attitude. People no longer gathered around the altar as it was placed at the extreme end of the church. Choirs and choir screens intruded between the altar and the people and further separated them from the action of the liturgy.
The architecture of the current church takes us back to the principles were a part of early Christian worship, principles that presupposed an involved and participating laity. Designed by the architectural firm of Durham, Anderson and Freed of Seattle, an attempt was made to allow the form of the church to be dedicated to the function of the liturgy that takes place within it. The exterior of the church is an honest, straightforward form that has an affinity with the surrounding rural setting.
The pulpit and altar represent both the outward thrust and inward concern of the Christian community. The Gospel is read and proclaimed to all. The entire Church becomes the symbol of outreach. The Christian family gathers around he altar for its “family meal,” the Holy Communion. Both the pulpit and altar stand in relationship to the massive cross; neither dominaes except when the liturgy action takes place at one or the other.